November 14, 2012

Tasha Tudor's Candlemaking Illustrations



 full illustration above, details below












































In the book A Time to Keep Tasha Tudor highlights her family traditions and holiday celebrations for each month of the year. We owned this book when I was a child and I used to pore over the pages. Now I have my own copy and I still look through it often.  My girls love it as well. Tasha's tiny details and decorated borders are so fun.

Of November Tasha says "On Thanksgiving we roasted the turkey before the fire. So many relatives came to visit that the children had to sleep in the barn. We did plays and charades and had a literary contest with a handsome book for first prize. That's the month we made Christmas presents and a year's supply of candles."

Aren't her candlemaking illustrations dear? (and of course there's a corgi under the table - there's always at least one corgi, often more like four, milling around in her drawings.)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful book! We love illustrations like this too. I would have missed the corgi-in-the-basket! Will have to look for this one too. Get Grandma on the candle making detail! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly a special book. I think you'd enjoy it. Sometimes I see copies in used book stores but I know you can also get it on Amazon.

      Delete
  2. I am loving you colonial/pilgrim posts Jenny. That book sounds wonderful. I like the simplicity of life it describes, of spending November making Christmas gifts. Lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha Tudor was all about living the simple life. She basically pretended it was 1850 her whole life and even wore long dresses, aprons and bonnets as her standard attire.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!