June 14, 2012

Creekside & Captain Hook


























"Please, please please!" Kate begged. She and her friends wanted to go to the creek behind our house to work on the swimming hole they're building. Although I now let Emma go alone with friends I still require an adult to be with Kate and her friends. The water, especially this time of year, is just too high and those little ones are all so small. Plus I worry the mountain lions will see Kate's lanky limbs flapping as she runs along the path and mistake her for an appetizer. So I cancelled my afternoon plans and off we went – down the path through the woods to the spot they've scouted out to be the best for a new swimming hole. There's a deep sandy part and a beachy area and they're working on a rock retaining wall that will keep the water in once the levels drop later in the summer. Ahhh, to be eleven in the summer. Carrying big rocks around in your bikini swimsuit without an ounce of self-consciousness. I wish she could stay like that forever.

As we walked home "Captain Hook's Ice Cream" truck came slowly up our street, jangly tunes piping from the speaker. The man who owns it comes about once a week during the summer, accompanied by his young son who helps hand out the frozen treats (he must be six-years-old or so). He's a really nice guy and actually does have a hook for a hand, since he lost his in a farming accident as a teen. 

As soon as we got in the door the girls grabbed their money and raced outside to wait for him to come by our house.

Drumstick anyone?

5 comments:

  1. I remember those carefree days. I used to play in the creek by our house from sun-up until sundown. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was Kate's age we had a tiny creek by our house too. I used to perform all the songs from The Sound of Music out there (all alone), jumping from stone to stone. A good age for sure.

      Delete
  2. Jenny, I am so glad you captured this time so beautifully in your words and pictures. I wanted to be there with you...and I imagined I was:)
    Gracie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for coming along (virtually, that is).

      Delete
  3. Your daughter's summer sounds blissful, like the stuff from children's books...creeks, building stuff, swimming, ice cream. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!